Award: One award of $3,000
Open:1 March to 15 April 2020
Awards advised: Mid-June 2020
Awards-made: July and August 2020
Purpose of the award
The Jeanette Scott Award is being sponsored by Graduate Women Otago in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the University of Otago.
This award is for a woman in the Otago or Southland regions who is studying in and preparing for a career in education.
Applicants must be living and studying in the Otago or Southland regions and undertaking a New Zealand tertiary qualification at degree level. The award is for women who have commenced and are progressing their programme of study in education.
The awards are a one-off grant to help with study and/or living expenses during study.
To apply for this Specific Purpose Award you must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
The applicant is a woman, who:
- Is enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification
- Is studying at a degree level or higher (NZQA Level 7 or more)
- Is undertaking a teaching qualification or education related programme of study.
- Has completed at least one full year of a teacher education degree or is undertaking a post-graduate course in teaching and learning, or has completed one full year of an education related degree programme
- Is studying and living in the Otago and/or Southland region of New Zealand
- Is a New Zealand citizen or holds a resident class visa, and lives in New Zealand
- Has not previously received a NHWT: HK Award
When selecting awardees, the selection panel will consider the following:
- Academic achievements and career plans
- Financial circumstances
- Personal circumstances
In deciding the award preference will be given to eligible women studying teaching at early childhood, primary or secondary school level, and then, other education related courses
How to apply for an award
If you are eligible for this award please complete the online application form at