New Horizons for Women Trust provides awards that benefit women and/or girls. Each year the Trust provides a number of second-chance education, research and specific purpose awards.
The awards site is now closed for all 2017
Results are advised by mid-June with awardees receiving their awards at a NHWT ceremony scheduled from July to early August. For more information about each award select the award group below and then select 'more info'.
Second-chance Education Awards
There are two types of Second-Chance Education Awards:
- Foundation Study Awards ($1,000)
- Diploma and Degree Study Awards ($3,000 to $4,000).
Second-Chance Education Awards are for women aged 25 or over, who are engaging in tertiary education later in life at a foundation studies or diploma/degree level, and who do not already have a tertiary qualification.
Second-Chance Education Awards are also available for women under 25 years of age who meet EITHER of the following enrollment criteria:
- are enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification in tertiary education at a foundation studies or diploma/degree level, and who do not already have a tertiary qualification.
- are now enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification and studying at a foundation studies or diploma/degree level level, after recently returning to secondary school studies to gain University Entrance, after a gap in their schooling.
In all categories, the awards are a one off grant to help with study and/or living expenses.
Purpose Research Awards aim to support women who are conducting research that benefits women and/or girls in Aotearoa New Zealand. The awards are a one off grant to help with research and/or living expenses.
In 2017 NHWT will offer four (4) research awards, valued up to $5,000 plus an additional co-funded research award valued at $10,000 with Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga , the New Zealand's Māori Centre for Research Excellence.
2017 Research Awards:
- Wāhine Ora:Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga New Horizons for Women Trust Research Award.
- NZ Federation of Graduate Women Wellington Branch Research Awards (2)
- Margaret Shields Research Award
- Ria McBride Research Award
Specific Purpose Awards
Purpose Specific Purpose Awards are for women to study or develop an initiative with a specific purpose.
Description In 2017, NHWT is offering eleven (11) Specific Purpose Awards:
- Margaret L Bailey Science Award - one award for $5,000
- Career Change Awards - at least two awards for $3,000
- Sonja Davies Peace Award - one award up to $4,000
- Teupoko'ina Utanga Morgan Memorial Award - one award up to $5,000
- Ria McBride Public Service Management Award - one award for $15,000
- Zonta Club of South Auckland Trades Award- one award for $1,500
- Graduate Women Manawatu Charitable Trust Refugee Study Award- one award for $3,000
- Refugee Award sponsored by The Second Chance Group Wellington - one award for $3,750
Special announcements for 2017
NOTE: For 2017 we are thrilled to announce 2 new co-sponsored awards funded by Outward Bound NZ and the Alexandra Kilpatrick Bequest administered by New Horizons for Women Trust .
- Outward Bound Classic Course Award 2017 sponsored by Outward Bound NZ and New Horizons for Women Trust - one award for $4,100
- Outward Bound Discovery Course Award 2017 sponsored by Outward Bound NZ and New Horizons for Women Trust- one award for $2,500