Awards: One award of up to $4000
Open: 1 March to 14 April 2019
Awards advised: Mid-June 2019
Awards made: July and August 2019
Purpose of the award
The Sonja Davies Peace Award promotes initiatives that advance peace in New Zealand. The award is available to a woman or group led by a woman who are developing an initiative that will help them create a more peaceful world – at home, school, the workplace, or in the community.
Peace is defined as the elimination of violence within families, lessening conflict between groups within society, freedom from civil disorder, and cessation of war. It extends to activities which foster mediation or resolution of conflict by means other than violence.
Before you apply please ensure you meet all the following eligibility criteria:
- A woman or a group led by a woman, who are New Zealand citizens (or hold a resident class visa) and who:
- Intend to use the award to carry out an initiative which advances peace in New Zealand
- Or intend to use the award to undertake training that on completion will be applied to a peace- related activity in New Zealand
- Live in New Zealand
Tertiary study or research projects are NOT eligible for this award nor are previous award winners of this award.
When selecting awardees, the selection panel consider the following:
- Benefit to the advancement of peace in New Zealand; and to women and/or girls in New Zealand
- The relevance of the initiative to the advancement of peace in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Experience of the applicant(s), particularly their capability to carry out the initiative
- Evidence of planning, financial need and budget sustainability
How to apply for an award
If you are eligible for this award please complete the online application form.