Awards: One - three awards of $3000 - $9000
Open: 1 March to 15 April 2018
Awards advised: Mid-June 2018
Awards made: Mid-July to early August 2018
Purpose of the award
The Association for Women in the Sciences (AWIS) award is for women who are enrolled in a *STEM-related programme of study, and who have completed at least one year of a New Zealand tertiary qualification at an undergraduate degree level (NZQA level 7), OR at a post graduate level . The award may be given as one award or split into two or three (maximum) awards at the discretion of the NHWT Specific Purpose Awards panel
The awards are a one off grant to help with study and/or living expenses during study.
*A STEM programme of study would be either in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics-related field.
To apply for this Specific Purpose Award you must meet all the following eligibility criteria:
The applicant is a woman, who:
- Is enrolled in a NZ approved tertiary qualification
- Is studying at a degree level or higher (NZQA Level 7 or more)
- Is studying one or more STEM- related subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics)
- Has completed at least one year of STEM study
- Is a New Zealand citizen or holds a resident class visa, and lives in New Zealand
- Has not previously received a NHWT: Hine Kahukura Award
When selecting awardees, the selection panel will consider the following:
- Academic achievements and career plans
- Financial circumstances
- Personal circumstances
Weighting will be given to those studying in a STEM-related field of study, where women are currently under-represented
Weighting will be given to applicants whose social identity is underrepresented in their field of study.
How to apply for an award
If you are eligible for this award please complete the online application form at